The Starter Company Plus – Small Business Program is focused on helping entrepreneurs start or grow traditional small businesses (i.e. trades, consulting, retail, etc.).
If you are an entrepreneur planning to open or grow your traditional small business, the Starter Company Plus – Small Business Program can provide the following support:
- A grant of up to $3,500 to assist in starting or growing your small business
- One-on-one business advisory services and mentoring
- Co-working space with access to computers, internet and meeting rooms
To qualify for the grant portion of this program you must have successfully completed the 10-course Starter Company Plus – Small Business Training Program and be:
- 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- A Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- A Toronto resident or operating your business in Toronto
- Not working full-time
- Not in a full-time education program or returning to school
- Not enrolled in other Provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance
Training Program Overview
To qualify for the Starter Company Plus – Small Business grant, applicants must first attend the 10-course training session and complete a Business Plan.
The training courses are half-day sessions and cover the following learning objectives:
- How to develop a business model and plan
- How to do market research
- How to prepare a marketing plan
- Low cost, no cost marketing tools
- How to market your business online
- How to keep books and basic bookkeeping
- How to prepare a profit and loss statement
- How to calculate your break-even point
- How to prepare a cash flow forecast
- How to analyze a balance sheet
- Legal requirements for small business
- Costing and pricing your product or service
- Time management tips and tools
- Sales skills and customers service
- How to apply for a business loan
- How to use systems to improve your management
- How to keep yourself motivated and disciplined
- What it takes to become a successful business
- How to work smarter, not harder
- How to manage your employees
The program is delivered on the following dates and times. To be eligible for the $3,500 grant applicants must attend all of 10-courses and complete a Business Plan.
- Monday November 6th – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday, November 13- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday November 20th- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday, November 27th – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday November 4th – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This is an accelerated course program that combines 2-courses into each day.
Back to all