This workshop is a part of Web Unleashed. See website for details.
With the advent of ES6 (aka ES2015) a few years back, the log jam holding back improvements to the JS language design was finally unstuck. But with it came a flood of new language features, into an already overwhelmingly crowded and fragmented ecosystem of JS tools and frameworks. And JS changes just keep coming and coming. For many, this pace of change can be very intimidating and frustrating.
In this workshop, we’ll explore a variety of features added to JS from ES6 to present (ES2019), and try to get a sense of what parts we should be paying closest attention to. You can’t learn everything — it all changes too fast. But you can get in the flow of the language as it evolves, and that’s what this workshop will guide you through.
Topics Covered Include
- Template literals
- Iterators + generators
- String padding / trimming
- Async generators/iteration
- Regexp improvements
Assumed Audience Knowledge
Five Things Audience Members Will Learn
- Nitty gritty details of array and object destructuring patterns
- Declarative string interpolation with custom tags
- Iteration protocol and declarative iteration with generators
- Concurrency patterns with async/await functions and async generators
- Regular expression advancements
Laptop with modern web dev environment (editor, modern browser)