According to data from PE Hub Canada and preliminary data from Thomson Reuters, Canada’s top VC deals this year raised over $1 billion from investors — nine percent shy of the $1.1 billion that went into 2016’s top 10 deals.
Financings sized above $20 million secured $2.3 billion last year — the highest amount since 2000 — while financings sized above $50 million took $1.5 billion, the highest ever. As a result, cash flowing into Canadian tech sectors hit $3.8 billion last year, a five percent increase of the $3.6 billion invested in 2016.
Montreal’s Lightspeed was the top deal of 2017, having raised $207 million in a series D, partly to buy out former investor Accel Partners. Montreal-based Element AI, which raised a historic $137.5 million Series A, followed suit.
The rest of the list includes:
- LeddarTech: $130 million (Quebec City)
- PointClickCare: $111 million (Toronto)
- Repare Therapeutics: $90 million (Montreal)
- eStruxture Data Centers: $80 million (Montreal)
- Vision Critical: $76 million (Vancouver)
- Wealthsimple: $70 million (Toronto)
- Milestone Pharmaceuticals: $68 million (Montreal)
- Visier: $60 million (Vancouver)
StartUp HERE Toronto is a publishing partner of Betakit and this article was originally published on their site.